Thursday, February 4, 2010

Purple Power

Sorry I was a bit slack yesterday - I was really busy in the morning (more on that below) and then just exhausted the rest of the day.

So, hubby and I are moving to Australia at the end of April. (Background: I'm Australian and DH is South African...We met and fell in love in Dubai [we both lived in Dubai] and then we moved to South Africa. After about 10 months, we realised South Africa wasn't for us, so we temporarily moved back to Dubai, before making the big move to Australia). We're sorting our dogs out so that they can travel to Australia. Oz has some hardcore quarantine rules - because of all the native animals. In November, we did their blood tests for Rabies - working out that it would be 5 months before we moved to Oz, so the dogs would only have to be in quarantine for 30 days.

Only, one of my dogs failed her test. We're not sure why - but I think it's because her Rabies boosters and vaccinations were a little older than the other dogs. So we had to give her a booster Rabies jab and wait 3 weeks before we could retest her blood. Yesterday marked three weeks, so I took her to the vets. It all went smoothly and the vet agreed with my reasoning to why she failed, adding that he didn't think she'd fail this time. All good. I go to pay and I can't find my wallet. I think and think when I last had it, when I last saw it - not easy with pregnancy brain.

I had to bring my dog home from the vet, find my wallet (which was in my old bag - odd LOL) and drive back to the vet. Considering I left the for the vet at 8:50am and didn't get completely finished up until after 11:30, I was pretty tired.

Now, I'm 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Thankfully the nausea seems to have subsided a little - I still get bouts of it though. The heartburn is still kicking my butt - but not nearly as much as it was. DH and I realised that my boobies have got big. They feel heavier and fuller. And they're starting to hurt. I'm still eating, loads, but I'm trying to make sure I eat proper food - rather than just whatever I see first ;)

Yesterday, I decided to do the Cabbage Test. I saw it on one of the boards I frequent, and I thought it'd be fun. For those who don't know, this is how it works:

The science behind this baby gender prediction test is pretty simple. Theoretically, your urine pH (how acidic or basic it is) changes based on whether you're pregnant with a boy or a girl. I believe that's how the baby gender prediction tests you can buy in the store work too. But they can be a little pricey. Red cabbage has pigments in it that are sensitive to pH and turn a different color based on how acidic or basic a solution is. Ergo, you can do a super cheap test on your urine pH using red cabbage from the grocery store.

Things You'll Need:

* Red cabbage
* Boiling water
* Urine

1. Go to the store and buy a red cabbage. The size of the cabbage does not matter at all.
2. Cut the cabbage into big chunks. The smaller you cut the chunks, the better your results will turn out.
3. Boil some water on the stove and put in the chunks of cabbage.
4. Let the water and cabbage boil for about 10 minutes or so. When the ten minutes is up, remove it from the heat.
5. Grab a cup and go to the bathroom! Pee into the cup.
6. In a separate cup, mix 1 part of urine to 1 part of the water that the cabbage was boiled in. No need to save the cabbage unless you want to eat it. It's pretty tasty, so you might want to eat it!
7. If the urine/cabbage water turns pink or red then this indicates a boy result! If the urine/cabbage water turns purple, this indicates a girl result.

0 comments: